Anxiety is considered to be a normal reaction to a stressor, and in small dosage, it may help a person to deal with a stressful situation and motivates him to perform at his best. However, when anxiety becomes overwhelming, it affects our daily life and may even become a disorder.
Here come several natural remedies for anxiety and stress that may improve your life and help in relieving the symptoms associated with them.
- Eucalyptus: According to studies, the active ingredients in eucalyptus play a key role in relieving tension and stress. You can drink tea made from the dried leaves or inhale eucalyptus essential oil after sprinkling a few drops of the oil onto a cloth or tissue, or by using an aromatherapy diffuser or vaporizer or mix in your bath few drops of it in one tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Lavender: This herb relaxes the body and the mind. It is recommended to use shower products containing lavender or lavender essential oil in your bath, or you can prepare lavender tea from the flowers (fresh or dried). This herb will also help you if you suffer from a restless sleep. And indeed lavender is one of the best herbs for insomnia.
- Theanine: Theanine is an amino acid found in tea. Theanine has been studied for its potential ability to increase sense of relaxation, reduce mental and physical stress and boost mood. It has calming effects, and is used in Japan for these purposes. So if you want to relax, a theanine supplement might be the right thing for you. According to studies, theanine supplement helps to generate alpha brain waves, which are associated with relaxation.
The recommended dosage for theanine is 200 mg daily.
- Ginkgo Biloba: Ginkgo Biloba extract is produced from a Chinese tree that works as an antioxidant and sedative and can be purchased in health food stores. Extract of ginkgo leaves contains flavonoid glycosides and terpenoids that can relieve anxiety and stress, but it is advisable to consult a doctor before consuming it, especially if you take blood-thinning medications or antidepressants.
- Ginger: Ginger is an effective (and delicious!) plant for relieving stress and pressure. One of the best ways to consume it is drinking ginger tea by mincing or slicing pieces of ginger and infusing them. Ginger also helps the digestive system, helps clear toxins and calm the stomach.
- Valerian Root: Valerian root has a long history of use in treating tension, anxiety and sleep disorders. It contains a number of active ingredients and you can get it in health food stores. It is recommended to consult a doctor before taking valerian as it can interfere with other medications.
- Jojoba: Jojoba has a calming effect on our body, so you can find it in beauty products and bath soaps. Wash your body with soap that contains jojoba, as calming the body is the first step in calming the mind. Or you can use it as an after-shower body moisturizer: spread a few drops of jojoba oil on your hands, feet and other skin areas so your body doesn’t get dry after stepping out of the shower.
Jojoba oil is also great for a massage (and you can add a few drops of other calming essential oils such as lavender, chamomile, and frankincense) or you can add a few drops to your bath to leave the skin moisturized, soft, and smooth.